17. August 2015

Hokitika - Hokitika Gorge - Mt. Tuhua / NZ

On my way to Hokitika, I love this colours
Hokitika famous for its sunsets, a place to go. I didn't really see much of the town as everything was closed the evening I arrived and being Sunday the day after.
Just in time for the sunset I checked in at Beachside Motels & Holiday Park. It's nothing special but I liked it and the owners were very lovely and helpful. 
Across the road you can pass onto the beach. This night it was very cloudy, nevertheless with some bites and a glass of Chardonnnay it's a beautiful time to end the day. 
Streets of Hokitika

First evening at Hokitka beach

When it got pitch dark you can just walk the opposite direction and you will reach the Glowworm Dell. Why paying money to visit a glowworm cave in Te Anau, when you just can look at hundreds of them just around the corner of your campsite :-) 


Hokitika Gorge
Next day I went to Hokitika Gorge. The drive is longer than I thought ;-)
It's a lovely walk and when you do not have a problem with freezing water take a swim. Some get here to have a picnic. Good idea :-)

It says 7hrs, you can do it at least in 4:40 like me :-)
From there I went to Lake Kaniere to hike Mt. Tuhua (1125m). I got the idea, that you either find tracks which are easy going or bloody steep. This one counts to the steep tracks.
The first part is going through the woods and further on top you go along the ridge. 
I passed very few people coming down though I had the top for myself again.
It was quite cloudy, therefore I wasn't lucky and couldn't enjoy the view on Lake Kaniere. Later I catched a glimpse on Hokitika at the coast.
Getting down it had drizzeld and the track got quite slippery. Take care being very steep at the bottomm part I thought I need to get down on my bottom without braking an ankle. When I got up one guy came running down, another option to get down.

I told you it's steep ;-)


Yes, steep

Getting nearer to the ridge
 
Last glimpses onto Lake Kaniere

 
Walking the ridge

At the end is the "top"
The summit "cross"

Naughty, bit annoying always coming back birdie (forgot the name of them) 
































There it went the hope on a good view onto the lake
Yes, you have to get down there on the wet and slippery roots ;-)
This night I stayed at Hokitika again and I enjoyed a beautiful romantic sunset with my bottle of wine ;-)   



Keine Kommentare: