19. Juli 2015

Dunedin / NZ

Coming from Oamaru, stopping at the Moeraki Boulders you head further to the south on Highway 1 and you will reach Dunedin.

Walking up Baldwin Street
Dunedin is one of the biggest cities on the South Island with many Cafès as it's a University city.
I would first go to the world's steepest residential street "Baldwin Street". The street is in the north of the city and makes sense of driving south and north and south. 
It's fun walking up, it really is steep!
Giving an impression how steep Baldwin is

From there I would make a stop in the city. In New Zealand Egg's Benedict are quite common and if you like it or never have tried it again, NZ is definetly a place to do. I had fantastic once at "The kitchen table Cafe & bake" they even had them in different ways. 
Otherwise there are a lot of other great looking cafès along the streets and the "Octagon".

Dunedin Railway Station
Take a look at the Dunedin Railway Station. It's a Renaissance style building from 1906. 
You can also take a train trip from there which I haven't done or if you are a fan of chocolate you can visit the Cadbury World.

East of the City head to the Otago Peninsula.
Larnach Castle
First I took the road on the island and went to the Larnach Castle. I only paid to visit the garden of the castle (14NZD). It's subjective, but I wouldn't do it again. It's quite expensive and the garden wasn't worth it in my opinion.
You can pay more and go inside the Castle. It doesn't look too big, though no idea what to expect.

Taiaroa Head
Sunbathing seal
From there head down to the Coast and to the tip of the peninsula to the Royal Albatross Centre. At the beach of Taiaroa Head are quite a lot seals and take care as I nearly stepped on one lying around looking like a stone.
Again it is not the cheapest option (45 NZD), but you can get inside into a viewing building looking at the part of the peninsula where the royal albatrosses breed. 

Tip: Check out the website bookme. I am not sure if you get the entrance cheaper via this website, but you can find many attractions for less money

View from the Albatross Lookout to Dunedin

Sure, if you wait outside at the coast you can also be lucky seeing one flying around. Even when you pay you do not have a guarantee, but I was lucky and one were flying aroung a few times. Quite impressive those huge birds, the male once have a span of up to 3 meters!
Driving back I took the road at the coast, you definitely should take at least once as it's directly at the shore with many many curves ;-)
You can see a little one looking out

 I didn't stay in Dunedin but drove down south a bit further along Scenic Route 55
I stayed at Taieri Mouth Camp Ground. Run by a lovely lady living in a campervan and had some funny looking chickens. There is a path 5 min. to the beach, no sandflies (at least when I had been there) and enjoyed a fantastic sunset with a glass of Chardonnay and some bites :-)
Off to the beach



Beautiful end of the day
To give an idea: From Oamaru Camp to Dunedin Camp I drove 215 km that day.

Good morning next day

Keine Kommentare: