25. Juli 2015

Nugget Point and Catlins / NZ

In the morning starting at my Camp between Dunedin and Milford at the Scenic Route I headed South. Passing Milford, turn onto the Scenic Route 176 again

Walk to the Light house
Shortly after, take a turnoff onto a gravel road to Kaka Point do the walk to the lighthouse Nugget Point
It had been very windy and a bit rainy :-) It's about a 15 min walk to the Point to watch the rocks in the ocean. 
I read it's possible to see seals, dolphins etc. - I haven't
The Nuggets in the water
Back on the Scenic Route drive down to the South. First, I hadn't been sure if there is anything interesting down the South. 
Having a short break in the ISite Owaka, I got a great map of the Catlins. Get the map or print it yourself if you haven't got a detailled map already to find all the spots.
The rest of the day I was kind of in nature-sightseeing-stress :-)
Beach of Surat Bay

From Owaka I headed to the nearby Surat Bay. There are a few spots where you can see sea lions. The very friendly ISite staff recommended me to get to this beach.
It's a long strip and you can walk for hours I guess. I turned after about 20 min. On my walk I nearly didn't see it, but there was a big sea lion lying at the beach. He was enjoying the sand :-)

Sea Lion hardly to see next to the stones and covered in sand

 

Looks cute, but don't mess with them
Purakaunui Falls
From there you can follow little roads, Being on Purakaunui Falls Road you need to check the signs and should visit the Purakaunui Falls.  
I loved those walks through the amazing  mossy forests. It's sooooo green. 

I was too fast, but don't miss the Florence Hill Lookout you pass in a curve on the Scenic Route. It's a fantastic view onto the ocean. I only got a glimpse.

McLean Falls and I ;-)
If it's low tide you should first head to the Cathedral Caves, if you still have time stop on your way at the McLean Falls
I even liked those more than the other falls.To get there you again have a green, green, green short walk first. 
Green, green, green

 Nearby is the stop for the Cathedral Caves. It's the only spot you have to pay for. There is downhill walk through the forest to the coast. Crossing the beach you get to the caves which are quite impressive. You can't get into them during high tide, that's why it's so important to be there on time +/- half an hour, I was told. 
Cathedral Cave from the inside

The two "entrances" to the left and right are connected inside

Getting late, I wanted to stay at Curio Bay. You have to turn left, off the Scenic Route. Passing  Niagara you definitely have to have dinner in the restaurant "Niagara Falls". It's directly at the road, it has a great flair and just so incredibly fantastic food. I really thought about getting a second serving of spinach-feta-pastry. Yummy, yummy, yummy. 
One of the camper / tent spots

At Curio Bay I stayed at the Camp-
ground, which is very basic! Do not expect much or anything.
The nice thing is that you have little coves inbetween meter high grass and gives a feeling of privacy. 

In walking distance is a spot to watch yellow-eyed-penguins. There were a few bathing or standing around :-)
swimming yellow-eyed-pengiun
Two little ones gaining fat to be prepared for the sea



Tip
Wherever you go in the Catlins, bring your anti-mossi-spray, naughty little bastards they are. 

Keep your clock in sight to know where to go next, some points can only be visited with low tide and others are only interesting during high tide.

To give an idea
From the one campground to the other I drove 215km. 
And it's not July even if i posted it in July, it all has been in February "summer"

Keine Kommentare: