17. September 2015

Arthur's Pass and Bealey Spur Track / NZ

I got it recommended to take the Arthur's Pass to get from the West to the East Coast and I am happy I arranged my trip accordingly to take this road.

Lake Poerua
Heading South from Punakaiki I took the route South and headed on in Greymouth on route 7 to the West. Shortly after Dobson I again headed South on a smaller road. 
First you will pass Lake Brunner and then Lake Poerua. It just started drizzling and the sky was cloudy which made the scenery very mystic and beautiful, though I had to take a short break. 

At the end of the road turn to the East to Arthur's Pass
I stopped at the Viaduct Lookout. It was cloudy when I was there, which resulted in a very limited view, but up there are many Keas, which made the stop worth it. 
Take care for your car as they love to take everything possible apart and they get beneath your car, don't kill them.
curious Kea
Kea on its way to explore my car
Yeees, there are some wipers to take apart :-)
From the lookout it's not far to get to the village Arthur's Pass itself with an ISite. You either can buy the brochure about all Arthur's Pass activities for 2NZD or download it here

Devils Punchbowl Falls
For the rest of the day I decided to go for a walk to the Devils Punchbowl Falls. It's just 1km and they look nice.










Arthur's Pass
I had enough time left though went on walking the Arthur's Pass Walking Track (3,4km). It goes through the forest more or less alongside the road. I extended the walk with the Dobson Nature Walk (750m) and finaly went on to the Misery lakes (1km), which leads you through some swampy area. You have to go the same way back.
My subjective impression, I found it a bit boring and wouldn't do it again. If you are looking for an easy walk without any up and down, it's the right walk for you. 
Chances of rain are very high on Arthur's Pass, bring a rain coat. I needed it. 

View to Arthur's Pass Village
Arthur's Pass Walk
View from the walk to the road
I stayed in the village at Avalanche Creek Shelter Campsite. It's very basic, a hut, a toilet, next to the road and train (not much traffic during the night), more or less a parking space. Really only a place to stay if you plan to do some more activities around Arthur's Pass. 

My plan had been to hike the Avalanche Peak Track starting in the village. I was warned not to go with cloudy weather 1st that you do not get lost and 2nd you won't see anything. Due to the rain the next day, I didn't go.
 
Just after the Pass, the weather cleares off

View from Bealey Spur Track
Getting further West from the Pass the weather gets better. There is a fantastic alternative. I went up the Bealey Spur Track (don't mix it up with Bealey Valley Track).  It's just an amazing hike with fantastic views of the Waimakariri River valley, I definitely would do it again! It has been pretty windy and bit rainy, bring warm clothes (I went in February = summer). This 6km hike described in the brochure ends at the Bealey hut (have a look inside. I thought it's a showroom of the past, but no it's still in use!). If the weather is ok, you have to go on to the top, it's so great.
Also with this hike you have to return on the same route you walked up.
Great, great, great!



 


Being a little bit sentimental...
They are real even they look self-made

Bealey Spur Hut - keep on going to the top in front of you
No showroom from the past, still in use


I loved that one ;-) "These mice arnt here to take part. There here to take over!!!"
 
On the top



 









   
Back at the car I continued my way to my last stop Christchurch. The great nature continued on this way.









Keine Kommentare: