20. September 2015

Christchurch / NZ

My last stop of 3,5 weeks traveling the South Island was Christchurch. I already had heard from friends that you still see the impact of the earthquake in 2010 and 2011, but I wouldn't have imagined that still kind of the whole center is a red zone. There are just a few buildings in use, most are sealed off by fences because they are not save to enter or there is an empty space because the building is pulled down and nothing new yet builed. 

I would recommend to first visit Quake City. It's opposite the Container Mall and gives you a good idea about what happened. Especially the interviews are very emotional. 

The Container Mall was set-up after the earthquake because all buildings were too dangerous to enter anymore and it was the alternative for the shops. What I am informed about they are going to keep them, it looks fab.

Friends recommended to take a bus tour through the red zone, which I didn't do, but maybe an idea to do. 
 
Don't enter
Re:Start - Container Mall

Being in New Zealand I really wanted to learn something about the culture of the Maori. No idea why, but up to Christchurch I never had the chance to get into a museum or to any other place to get informed. Though last chance and I had booked a tour at Willowbank. It's a native zoo you can visit first, it's nice. Then they did a guided tour and explained a lot about the native animals and when you are lucky you can see some of the kiwis in the dark. This tour was very interesting. Afterwards they do a performance, which was not worth the money. Very short and just very touristy. At the end we had a dinner, which tasted very good. 
All in all I guess I was very lucky as we were just a group of six, if you have bad luck you are sitting there with a whole bus group.
I wouldn't recommend to pay that money for it and would look for a different option to get an idea about the Maoris.
Not sure if they are native, but it looks funny :-)

Can you see it?
Maori dance
 New Zealand was just great. I am hopefully coming back :-) !

Keine Kommentare: